Ready to see the night sky in a whole new light? As we continue our Science in the Parks series, we are excited to journey across the cosmos with the Chicago Astronomer Crew led by Joe Guzman and–of course–the Chicago Park District to bring astronomy to McKinley Park!
Whether you’re a first-time viewer or a seasoned veteran of the night sky this program should be a blast! Together we will observe double stars, a red super giant, young hot blue stars, star clusters, and a waxing Crescent Moon for our session! Jointly, we will learn what is happening in the solar system this summer, from seasonal deep space objects to upcoming meteor showers and eclipses. The activities we will deliver are open to all ages and the program will include…
- Space themed activities 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Astronomy chat 8:00 – 8:30 pm
- Telescope viewing and activities 8:30 – 9:30 pm
Science in the Parks is an ongoing effort by C2ST to live up to our philosophy that “Science is for Everyone”. Not only do we want to join your community, but we want to return and provide science programs that are relevant to you in the future.
Due to cloud cover on June 4th and 11th, and July 6th we have rescheduled the Explore the Night Sky at McKinley Park event to Wednesday, July 13th, 2022
Wednesday, July 13th from 5:30 -9:30 pm at McKinley Park
Address: 2210 West Pershing Road, Chicago, IL 60609
This program will be hosted in-person at McKinley Park. Gather at the McKinley Park field house.
Hints on attending:
- Parking is free in the lot.
- We will meet outside the McKinley Field House.
- Access to the Park District building and restrooms will begin at 5:30 pm and end at 10:00pm.
- We will be outdoors, so dress for the weather and bring water! C2ST will provide light snacks.
- There are no seats, so please bring a chair or blanket to enjoy the night.
- There are phone apps that help with stargazing. We recommend that you choose one or two and download them while you have WiFi: Night Sky, Sky Safari, NASA apps, SkyView Lite, 20 Best Apps for StarGazing 2021- iPhone and Android,
- COVID Protocols: In accordance with CDC guidelines, we will not require masks while outside but will request everyone does their best to remain 6 feet apart when possible. Of course, if you prefer to wear a mask the entire time, you are welcome and encouraged to do so!
To support STEM programs like this, you can DONATE to C2ST HERE!
We are dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for everyone. Please respect diversity in individuals and in cultures.
Notice: As a guest of the Chicago Council on Science and Technology (C2ST), you agree to be photographed, videotaped, or filmed and grant C2ST permission to put the finished footage/photography to any uses that it may deem proper including marketing, advertising (print, radio, and television) and PR-related activities.