Ready to see the night sky in a whole new light? As we continue our Science in the Parks series, we are excited to journey across the cosmos with the University of Chicago’s Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Chicago Astronomer Crew led by Joe Guzman, and–of course–the Chicago Park District to bring astronomy to Big Marsh Park!
Whether you’re a first-time viewer or a seasoned veteran of the night sky, this program should be a blast! Together we will experience the conjunction of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moon under night skies and learn what is happening in the solar system this fall, from seasonal deep space objects to upcoming meteor showers and eclipses.
- Space themed hands-on activities 5:30 – 6:30 pm
- Astronomy chat 6:30 – 7:00 pm
- Telescope viewing and activities 7:00 – 8:00 pm
Science in the Parks is an ongoing effort by C2ST to live up to our philosophy that “Science is for everyone.” Not only do we want to join your community, but we want to return and provide science programs that are relevant to you in the future.
Saturday, October 16th from 5:30 -8:00 pm at Big Marsh Park
Inclement weather/cloud cover date: October 23, 2021 – Decision to postpone will be made by 1:00 pm 10.16.21
Address: 11555 S. Stony Island Ave, Chicago, IL 60633
This program will be hosted in-person at Big Marsh Park. Gather at the Ford Calumet Environmental Center (FCEC).
Hints on attending:
- Parking is free in the lot.
- We will meet outside the Ford Calumet Environmental Center.
- Access to the Park District building and restrooms will end at 6:30 pm. Portable toilets will be available before and after 6:30 pm.
- We will be outdoors, so dress for the weather and bring water! C2ST will provide light snacks.
- There are no seats, so please bring a chair or blanket to enjoy the night.
- There are phone apps that help with stargazing. We recommend that you choose one or two and download them while you have WiFi: Night Sky, Sky Safari, NASA apps, SkyView Lite, 20 Best Apps for StarGazing 2021- iPhone and Android,
- COVID Protocols: In accordance with CDC guidelines, we will not require masks while outside but will request everyone does their best to remain 6 feet apart when possible. If you need to go into the Park District building, you will need a mask. Of course, if you prefer to wear a mask the entire time, you are welcome and encouraged to do so!
To support STEM programs like this, you can DONATE to C2ST HERE!
We are dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for everyone. Please respect diversity in individuals and in cultures.
Notice: As a guest of the Chicago Council on Science and Technology (C2ST), you agree to be photographed, videotaped, or filmed and grant C2ST permission to put the finished footage/photography to any uses that it may deem proper including marketing, advertising (print, radio, and television) and PR-related activities.