Zika Virus has been in the news lately. Until recently, it was known as a rare and unremarkable virus that was connected to a few small outbreaks. In 2015, the virus tore through South America, and carried a previously unseen side effect: severe birth defects. This has understandably caused a lot of concern about the spread and risk of contracting this disease, and leaves people with many important questions:
- Does everyone who gets it get sick?
- Does it only affect the brains of the fetus?
- Is sex safe after Zika and if so when?
- What are the precautions I should take to protect myself and my loved ones?
- I have great seats for the Olympics in Rio — should I go?
- Is this a new super form of Zika?
This talk will provide answers to these questions, as well as illuminate the bigger picture around this disease. The science around Zika has expanded quickly and there is much to share.
C2ST Speakeasy is held on the first Tuesday of every month. Attendance is free, but registration is strongly encouraged. To register, click HERE or on the “Get Tickets” button below. Seating is first come, first serve, and registration does not guarantee a seat.
**C2ST Speakeasy has moved!** On June 7th, C2ST Speakeasy will be held at Pint at 1547 N Milwaukee, just south of the Damen stop on the Blue Line. We will be using the private back room at Pint.
** The slides from Dr. Johnson’s talk are available HERE **